Saturday 11 January 2014

Final Piece #10

For my 10th final piece, which is of a lion in the shape of the letter 'z', I kept to the theme of my previous illustrations. This illustration resembles children's book illustration from the decade of the 1950's. It's 'pastel' tones, as well as the style of drawing help to accomplish this visual look.

When starting out my creation of this piece, I again sketched the letter 'z' in order to give me a kind of plan to go on. After this, I began sketching the actual lion illustration using a very fine 'H type' pencil, and went over this with a darker shade after I was happy with the way the animal was progressing.
Then, for the colour, I used watercolours, and picked a shade that closely resembles Lions fur.

I really like this piece, as I think the colour scheme is really sticking to my pastel tone palette, and it does resemble the themes of existing 1950's illustrators, not just in terms of colour tones, but with the simplicity too. If  I were to try to improve upon this piece, I would have altered the lower section of the image. I wish that the illustration was a little bit wider, in terms of width in the area just above the tail.

Before addition of simple mane.
After addition of simple mane and tail.


Thomas.

No comments:

Post a Comment