Monday 13 January 2014

Final Piece #11

For my 11th, and final piece for use in my book of drawings, I have created a watercolour painting of a centipede. I wanted to include at least one animal deemed a 'creepy crawly' in my book, and with the discarding of my spider illustration, I was lacking this. I feel that this illustration however makes up for this.

I started out by sketching out the letter 'S', and then went around this point, by sketching the basis of my drawing, using a very fine pencil. This laid down the area and shape that I wanted to go with.

Initial sketch of my illustration

Illustration with simple colours.

Finished the painting of my centipede illustration, now it just needs to be prepared for placement in my book.

Cutting out the illustration from the paper, I needed to be very careful not to slice through one of the legs, or the body accidentally.
 This animal represents the letter 'S', and will be featured in the final page of my book of drawings. I am really happy with the development of this piece, and also the finished illustration. It is a bit more complex than my other finals, and It is one of my favourites. I like the tones if colour that I have used, and how the black legs stand out in contrast from the body, and also the background of my book page.

Despite this, there are some things that I am not happy with in my design, for example due to the legs being so thin, I accidentally sliced halfway through about 3 of them. Luckily I stopped before completely cutting them off, however now several legs are left with a few cuts through them, which i think makes the illustration look a bit less professional.



Thomas.

No comments:

Post a Comment