Wednesday 8 January 2014

Final Piece #8

For my 8th final piece that I will place in my book of drawings, I have decided to choose to create a Cat illustration.

My Cat illustration.
When I thought about using the letter 'c', the animal that came to mind first was a Cat. After initially sketching out the outline for the letter, I drew the Cat around this using a very light pencil.  After I was happy with the drawing, I added some areas where I wanted to place colour, and I used a tray of watercolour paints to achieve 'pastel' tones. I added some light fur detail on the body, and used a dark HB pencil to add tone to the darker areas of the fur.
I added the black patch around the cat's right eye as a last minute addition, as I thought the face looked quite bare. I believe this patch makes all the difference to the piece.

This piece I am fond of, due to the simple black and white tones. The red in the collar, and the blue of the cats eyes seem to break this piece up, which is what I wanted.


The Cat illustration after being assembled, 'cut out', and applied to the colourful page in my book of drawings.

I really am happy with how my cat illustration turned out, this image really does match with the theme of 1950s children's illustration, and it sticks to the pastel type of tones. Also, the yellow of the background really makes this piece strongly stand out, which is good for a children's book. If I were to add or change something to make this piece better, I would have maybe given the cat a bit more fur. I would have liked more of the fur to have stuck out from the sides, instead of the body being a smooth curve.



Thomas.

No comments:

Post a Comment