Tuesday 3 December 2013

Craww & Mr Millerchip

Today, two very talented illustrators came into the illustration studio, one was called Craww, who created reportage like illustrations. And the other was Mr Millerchip, a very fun illustrator, who sketched such things as people, and used a lot of theme in his illustrations. The two illustrators came into the studio today, in order to give us some very useful and interesting information on such things, as how the industry works, how they got into illustration, and how they rose up to where they are now. They both provided great, detailed answers to questions that the class raised.

Craww handed out sketchpads of some of his work, which was passed around the room, after a lengthy PowerPoint on his favourite pieces, and he told an interesting background story, on each piece he displayed. 

I spent a while looking at two of his books, and I was really impressed by his artwork, that was inside his moleskin books. They seemed to be a cross between reportage, and abstract artwork, as he sketched such things like people, particularly of the femal form, and he used very abstract, and almost 'scratchy' lines. This is something that grabbed my attention, as I already love this kind of illustration style.

Mr Millerchip, went around the studio, and talked to students about their work. He came to me twice, and I had a discussion with him, about what I was trying to achieve with this unit task. He seemed very interested in what everybody was doing, and he gave off an enthusiastic vibe. After this, he gave his own PowerPoint, on his early life, how he was influenced to become an illustrator, and what inspired him. He also noted some mistakes he made early on in his career, and warned us about the dangers of contracts, and false promises given by companies to fresh university graduates. 

Both illustrators were great, and I'm really happy I had the opportunity to listen to their very useful information. I will be following them on a various number of sites, as not only was I impressed by their work, but also their personalities, stories and characters.



Thomas.



No comments:

Post a Comment