Friday 6 December 2013

Media choice

After producing development illustrations where I used mediums that emulated my chosen colour choice, I have decided that there were two mediums that stood out. The best mediums to go with in my opinion, are the following below. I will go into depth with them also, and detail an example of my work.

Coloured Pencil: I really like the colour range that coloured graphite provides, providing I pick the right pencil shade, and also the selection of pencils, as every box has slight variations in the colour. With the right selection, it is very accurate toward my chosen palette of using 'pastel tones'. (The reason I want to use this 'pastel' colour scheme, is due to the relationship between 1950's illustration, and these tones. I found out through research that 1950's children's illustration, uses a lot of 'pastel' like tones). I found this medium emulated this tone well.
To avoid the 'sketchy' pencil look to the texture, I could utilise watercolour pencils, which would blend together, similar to the medium that I detail below. Naturally I prefer using coloured pencil to say oil pastels, so I feel the more comfortable I am with the medium, the better the work I produce.

My development trial using coloured graphite.


Watercolour: I found using watercolour a fun experience, and I found myself to be really enthusiastic when using them. Also, the colours the medium provides, can be very accurate toward the 1950's children's illustration palette of 'pastel tones', so long as I mix the right shades. And I loved how I could create any shade, of any colour with this medium, so watercolour offers a much larger range of colour than coloured pencils can allow. Watercolour also blends together better than pencils, and lacks that typical scratchy graphite appearance to it. I also simply love how using watercolours feels, the motions of the brush, and how watercolour paintings tend to have that recognisable look about them, watercolour is a very distinct medium.


My development trial using watercolour.





Thomas.

No comments:

Post a Comment