Monday 9 December 2013

Development Trial #6 (Acrylic paint)

For my sixth developmental trial, I will be sticking to using mediums that create a very 'pastel' like tone, since I noticed way back in my research on 1950's children's illustration, that most illustrations contain colours that resemble a range from this wheel.



http://www.joshuakeenes.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/pastel_midring_3.09-1.jpg < image reference at this link.


I decided to paint a tree, notably the christmas tree outside the campus, since it's right on the 'doorstep'.
I began sketching the outline with a fine pen, and then added a dark shade of acrylic paint to the image. I then began adding lighter shades of green, to give the illustration tone, depth, shadow and lighting. This build up was to help make the tree look realistic, but with that cartoon like element that 1950's contains.



I found using acrylic paint to be difficult to blend. However despite this, it had a great, strong colour about it. Also because it is paint, any colour can be mixed and created. This gives materials such as paint, a good reason to use.




Thomas.

No comments:

Post a Comment