Monday 2 December 2013

Development Trial #2 (Watercolour & Pen)

This second development trial I have created for this book project is of a peacock bird, that I attempted to create in a hybrid style of 'vintage' elements of a 50's style, and my own personal style. This animal is shaped to resemble the letter 'F'.





I created this image using various shades of 'pastel' colour, with watercolour paint. I tried my best to copy the feathers 'wiry' texture, and also while sticking to the pastel colour wheel, that I was picking colours from.
As you can see, I used a lot of dark 'pastel' blues, and some darker shades of green. I went around certain areas using a thin, black fineliner, which I think adds to the 'retro' 50's style of illustration.

http://www.peacelovesmart.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/pastel_midring_3.09-1.jpg < image reference at this link. I edited this image, just placing a line around areas of the wheel, that I used most colour from.
The above image is a reminder about the 'pastel' colours that I am sticking to, for this unit.


http://img0.etsystatic.com/004/0/5051962/il_340x270.379284798_kgb1.jpg < image reference at this link.
I took some inspiration from this 1950's children's illustration. I like how various colours in the fur, make up the detail, and also provide depth. I tried to use the same technique, by using multiple colours, and lines, to give the peacock some texture.

http://img1.etsystatic.com/021/0/5744016/il_340x270.490582217_jw56.jpg < image reference at this link.
As well as the image above, I took some inspiration from this illustration on the front of the book entitles "Birds to Colour". Note the brush strokes on the bird's wing, and back. I tried to emulate this usage of 'layered lines' to build up a texture and tone.

I may adapt this piece further, to be turned into one of my refined finals.



Thomas.

No comments:

Post a Comment