Sunday 29 December 2013

Final Piece #4

For my 4th final piece, I have created the letter 'B' using the imagery of a canine. At the start of the piece, like how I go about creating all the others, I initially lightly sketched out the outline of the chosen letter. I then drew around this form, adding in basic shapes to resemble the dog's structure. I used a primary photo that I took myself, of a sleeping west highland terrier for a reference, and to get an idea of the canine anatomy, as to be accurate as possible with my illustration.

Illustration as a work in progress (WIP).

I used a light red watercolour paint to add colour to the collar. The difference between the white fur and red collar makes for a great contrast in my opinion. I feel this illustration is very striking, and is one of my favourite final pieces for my book, It is also one of the most simplistic ones as a side note.

The illustration as more refined. I used a darker HB pencil to add a bit extra detail and tone to the fur, the difference this makes to the image, is surprising in my opinion.

The illustration, fully complete and cut out. This image was taken prior to placement in the book.

Overall, this is probably my favourite illustration in the entire book. I love the simple colours of white and red, as well as the proportions and the detail. I also love how the addition of using a darker HB pencil in certain areas of the fur, give the piece more of a varied tone. If I were to improve this piece, maybe I would added a little extra shading to the right ear, the one furthest away, to give the illusion of light.


Thomas.

No comments:

Post a Comment