Sunday 22 December 2013

Final Book Cover

For my book cover design, which will be placed onto an A4 sized sketchbook created by me, I have decided to go with a simplistic design, that represents, and mimics the 1950's style of children's books.

After looking at book cover examples from this 50's era earlier on in my blog.
 (Link to blog here)http://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=1545632777560021951#editor/target=post;postID=5301767013712011385;onPublishedMenu=posts;onClosedMenu=posts;postNum=11;src=postname

I have concluded on using the design, that I feature below. The image is a mock up, and just a basic draft highlighting the placement of text and imagery. I picked this design, after seeing that a lot of children's books from this era contained a cover with a style like the one below.




My background colour will be reminiscent of 50's pastel tones. At first I was thinking of using either white or grey, but after consideration, I have decided to use a pastel shade of blue, which looks mainly like 'sky blue'. I will use either an accurate blue toned card for this, or I will use a sponge to add blue coloured ink to white watercolour card. This will leave an interesting pattern and texture, as well as different tones of blue. For my illustration in the middle, I have decided to use an illustration of a 1950's stylised husky in the shape of the letter 'm', painted using watercolours, which reflects on my media choice research.

The front cover watercolour husky, as a work in progress (WIP)

The cover idea that I have detailed here, in my opinion captures and displays elements of my varied research, and also would allow me to attain my goal, of creating a 1950's style illustration book.


(My front cover as complete.



Thomas.

No comments:

Post a Comment