Thursday 28 November 2013

Old Children's Books/illustration Examples

In my house, while searching for some old fashioned books that might contain depictions of old children's style illustrations, I found a few old children's books dating between the 1950's, and the 1960's.

In these books, the illustrations both inside and out, match the images from the research that I did on an earlier blog post, on children's illustration for the 1950's.

> Link here: http://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=1545632777560021951#editor/target=post;postID=8659642854686731477;onPublishedMenu=posts;onClosedMenu=posts;postNum=3;src=postname

I will be particularly focusing on the illustration of animals, for this unit.

Book: Wagon Train, front cover, Author: Maurice Templar, Illustrated by R. Wilson

Book: My Favourite Story Book, front cover, Author: ?, Publisher: Treasure House Books

These two books both depict perfect examples of 'vintage' children's book illustration. I would like to address the images below, which is a zoomed section of the second image, that I added above.



In this image, it shows how certain animals were sketched, (in this case what appears to be a dog puppy) in a style adapted for children. Note the very colourful style, and the black bold lines.






All black and white styled images above are from the book entitled, My Favourite Story Book, which was published by Treasure Hour Books.


The images above are old illustrations in black and white form. They are all from the same book, which I referenced above. I really love this style of sketching, and I could look into allowing my work to reflect this, for this book of drawings. It is a combination of cartoon/realistic themes, which I adore. I would like to bring some colour into my pieces though however.




I will try to find more books, if I can soon, and if I do I will update this blog.




Thomas.

No comments:

Post a Comment